. . . Resonant Bodies Festival packed a 75-seat Brooklyn venue for three days, giving vocalists a curatorial platform. The New York Times wrote, “In equal measures intelligent, playful, ambitious and moving the program…illuminated the shape-shifting power of the human voice.” Since, RBF has presented luminaries of vocal music (Dawn Upshaw, Tony Arnold, Joan La Barbara) alongside rising stars (Julia Bullock, Kate Soper, Sophia Burgos), showcasing "today’s most talented singers” (Feast of Music) to sold-out audiences at Abrons Arts Center, Merkin Concert Hall, and JACK. With Festivals in New York City and Melbourne, as well as future Fests in Sydney, Chicago, and Los Angeles, RBF has "already made a valuable contribution to the city’s music scene" (The New York Times) and provides a one-of-a-kind opportunity to hear virtuosic vocalists perform cutting-edge repertoire.
"Indispensable" "Essential" —The New York Times
"...an exciting, thought-provoking and diversely programmed concert...providing a rare space for performers to collaborate and take risks with new vocal music." —RealTime Arts (Australia)
"...consistently impressive and entertaining." —Seen and Heard International
Since 2013, our audiences have experienced:
- 162 works, roughly more than 24 hours of music
- 63 world premieres (about 40% of all music)
- 112 composers from 26 countries
- 40 featured vocalists (click here for a list of past artists)
- 98 guest performers, including Wet Ink Ensemble, International Contemporary Ensemble, Contemporaneous and TAK Ensemble.
- 13 podcast episodes interviewing Festival artists
- 56 works by female composers (about 35% of all music)
- 124 works written in the 21st century (about 75% of all music)